Friday, 11 March 2011

Ducking & Dodging

I'm my own worst enemy, you know. No matter how hard I try, I find it almost impossible to settle on one side-project and see it to its conclusion. There are always umpteen new and exciting ideas that pop up when I least expect them - when I least desire them - and threaten to steal my creative momentum.


BLIP is going very well indeed, right now, and I've already mentioned how I successfully fended off two short comics stories and a full-length GN project, so as to stay on course. And a book project, which I reluctantly shelved as well. But here we are again, four months on, and there are two more Very Big Projects that have shuffled into my slightly astigmatic eyeline.

Project Number One is yet another full-length bande dessinée series that popped into my head, back in December. I immediately tossed it on the backburner, but ever since, little details have coalesced and - in a very cunning move - it's married itself to a far older project of mine and become a most complete and tangible thing. There's magic there, destiny and an Undead Horde. It's bloomin' exciting. But I've donned my armour - Theoden style - manned the ramparts and successfully fended it off from Castle Blip.

For now.

But Project Number Two has successfully breached my defences. It's a great shaggy film script from eons again that has finally matured. I've been encouraged to pick it up again by an Outside Influence. And as any creator will tell you, if you're developing your own things on the side, an OI changes the game. It means there's the teeniest, tiniest possibile wink of a greenlight, out there in the creative darkness. And however slight that is, you just can't ignore it.


So, I'm still doing BLIP. Absoloutely, that's still a going concern, and if I squint real hard, I can see a finishing line out there, not a million mles away. Only now, there's a feature-length screenplay to consider as well. I've thrown myself into it, this week, and juggling both projects hasn't been an issue. In fact, it's been rather rewarding. When I reach an impasse with one, I can turn to the other until the problem solves itself, or the blockage is cleared. And hopefully, I can keep things going like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment