Thursday, 19 November 2009

Cosmic Jellyfish


In case you hadn't realised, BLIP is just... out there... somewhere in the cartoon galaxy. And this first encounter has been freeformed, rather than planned. I wanted to release myself from my usual regime, and let things develop in their own way. See, I have a rotten habit of over-analysing my work. I'll hone and hone and hone a project until, if I'm not careful, I've lost the creative spark that got me so excited about it in the first place and I'll drop the thing cold. As a consequence, I'm quite ridiculously guilty of never finishing things. Seriously. You should see my attic, stuffed to the rafters with projects started but ne'er to be finished. So here I've changed tack. I've thought about the basics and sketched out the slimmest of thumbnails. But for the most part, I've let my mind wander down whatever path it chooses, towards some sort of intergalactic conclusion that makes sense to me, at least. The aim being to just get drawing, pronto, and to GET SOMETHING FINISHED. In capitals, just like that. And I've adopted a handy motto/mantra, which I've printed out and stuck to the sloping ceiling above my desk:

Get it done.
Get it done.
Get it done.

Even so, at the end of last week, that ol' chisel of mine was out once more, chip-chip-chipping away at the conceit of my story. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't work. I could do this. I could do that. Oh, I was honing away alright, and I came perilously close to blinding my creative process again. I was all for tossing the thing aside and starting something new and exciting instead. But this time, I forced myself to keep on drawing, and what do you know, eventually, that funk began to clear. Come Tuesday I could see again. And lo and behold, it was obvious I was still on the right track, and had been all along.

Curse you, you artistic fog, you!

Mind you, you can surely forgive my uncertainty. I mean, this first BLIP strip already features swathes of signal-munching Space Lice. And now, well, I've only gone and thrown a jellyfish into the mix. Yes, indeed. A Great Cosmic Jellyfish. I told you this was a freeformed adventure...

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful!

    I want this as a T-Shirt.

    Oh ... and poster as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorsh... Now I'm blushing... That's very flattering, Peter, thank you!

    I am hoping to put together a print or two, or something similar, when I've finished this first tale - so be careful what you wish for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh ... now you really are a-winding me up!

    ReplyDelete