Saturday, 23 May 2009

The Genius of Jason

Oh, what giddy glee. There's a new Jason book on the way. Low Moon is published by Fantagraphics this June, and frankly, this particular reader can not wait. Serves me right for mentioning Jason in that reason posting. I've been devouring his back catalogue again, ever since...

Jason is just the sort of artist/creator that I'd love to talk about at Toonhound, only, he doesn't fit into the remit of the place (he's Norwegian, and Toonhound is Brit-centric). It's one of the reasons I've started this blog, so that the folks who slip through the net can get caught and celebrated here. Anyways, let's get back on topic... Jason's work is bleak and brittle and completely beguiling. His anthropomorphic characters are put through hell. They're dragged backwards through life's hedge and left staggering blindly on the pavement. Each clean line panel quivers with meaning. And in the last few years, he's added melancholic swatches of colour to proceedings - muted blues and purples, autumnal reds and browns - colours that compliment the mood of each tale beautifully...



Why are you doing this?, The Living and the Dead, I Killed Adolf Hitler - It's just impossible to choose a favourite, but it must be said, Hey, Wait... tore my heart out when I first read it. The book is split into two distinct parts, and together they take us from the unfettered joys of our childhood days, to the splintered reality of adulthood. And there's a twist - a turning point - halfway through that shatters the first-time reader... What a book this is...

Jason is a genius. He takes the humdrum and amplifies it. He stokes up great flames of fantasy - time travellers, hitmen, and zombies - but is quick to douse it all down with a bucket of cold reality. And speaking of which, he's keeping me from my own work now, so I'll have to be strong, put his books back on the shelf and GET DRAWING....

No comments:

Post a Comment